Wednesday, June 24, 2009

AutoCad-Why don't they teach this stuff in class?

In the working world I have learned two very important features of Autocad that you never learn about in school. Xrefs and etransmitting.

Xrefs are amazing if used correctly, but why don't they even mention them in school? When I started working at my first office job in an architecture firm they looked at me like I had two heads and no skin when I said that I didn't know what an Xref was.

I know the schools teach a lot of information in a very short time, but you'd think they would be sure to include in the curriculum something that is commonly used in the working world, and is relatively easy to use, and would be great to incorporate into school projects.

etranmitting is the same way. An AutoCad command that attaches all xref's, plot styles, and other miscellaneous parts of a drawing before you email it off or send it somewhere? I've read it's even great for moving files around your computer. To ensure you aren't losing any important info!

I know school's have a lot on their plate with all of the technological advances that are always coming out, but it seems silly to not teach some of the most commonly used, and time saving features of the programs out there. It would help all of the students a lot upon graduation and transition into the real world.

There are about a million good books and Internet sites out there with information pertaining to Xrefs and etransmitting where you can find good information. Two that I've found really helpful are the AutoCad website, especially the forum, and a book called "AutoCad workbook for Advanced AutoCad 2009" by Cheryl Shrock

No comments:

Post a Comment